Coconut Crusted Cassava Balls
This recipe was prepared by Chef Dense Stewart of the Tobago Hospitality & Tourism Institute in tribute to the successful “Bitter Cassava” production by TPAC. These lovely golden-brown deep fried cassava treats are perfectly light and crispy with a buttery smooth inside.
The best part is you can make these at home yourself in less than 15 minutes!
1 lb Cassava
1 tbsp. Chive
1 tsp. Pimento Peppers (Hot pepper optional)
½ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp Black pepper
Flour Mixture for frying:
1⁄2 cup of Flour for frying
1⁄2 cup Shredded Coconut
1 pinch of Saffron powder
1 pinch of Salt
1 pinch of Black pepper
Egg Wash Mixture:
1⁄4 cup Milk or water
- Boil cassava until tender.
- De-vein and smash until the cassava become light & smooth.
- Combine egg, chive, pimento, salt & black pepper into a bowl with the smashed cassava.
- Fold the ingredients evenly into the cassava.
- Place 1 Tbsp of cassava mixture in the palm of your hands and roll to form a ball.
- Toss the cassava balls into the egg-wash mixture
- Toss the cassava balls into the flour mixture and deep fry until golden brown. (approximately 5 mins)
- Serve with a Mango Salsa Sauce.
Recipe Credits: Dense A. Stewart, Sous Chef at Tobago Hospitality and Tourism Institute and Founder of Densi’ s ILe Cuisine Catering Service, (868) 488-7603